Possible issue when upgrading to cyrus 3.0.8 using replication ?

ellie timoney ellie at fastmail.com
Thu Sep 12 20:20:17 EDT 2019

Hi Adrien,

The replication upgrade path should be okay. In-place upgrades (that would use the affected reconstruct to bring mailboxes up to the same version as the server) would get bitten. Whereas if you replicate to a newer version server, the mailboxes on the replica will be created at the replica's preferred version already, so you don't need to reconstruct afterwards.

If you have messages that would theoretically be affected by this bug in 3.0, you won't be able to replicate them to 3.0 in the first place, because I think replication won't allow the 0 modseq. If this arises, I'm not sure how to recover from it and replicate the affected messages, since 2.4 and 2.5 won't alter the 0 modseq. If it can't replicate them, it will complain about it, so if you plan for the replication needing some handholding/restarting, you'll at least be able to identify which messages are broken in the process, and then figure out how to handle it once you know the size of the problem?

Another option, if you want to stick with the Debian packages, would be to skip 3.0.8 and install 3.0.11 from buster-backports (https://packages.debian.org/buster-backports/cyrus-imapd), and then you'll be immune to the problem. Though you still won't be able to replicate the affected messages to the new server, hmm.

Cheers,

ellie