Public calendars and addressbooks (was RE: Backup compaction optimization in a block-level replication environment)

Deborah Pickett debbiep at polyfoam.com.au
Wed Nov 20 00:41:14 EST 2019

> I'm curious how these are working for you, or what sort of configuration
and workflows leads to having #calendars and #addressbooks as top-level
shared mailboxes?  I've only very recently started learning how our DAV bits
work (they have previously been black-boxes for me), and so far have only
seen these existing in user accounts.  Maybe this is a separate thread
though.

We used to use public calendars in Exchange (they call them Public Folders)
for, among other things, a read-only catalogue of who in the office is on
leave on any given day.  Some of our branch offices also had shared contact
lists for phone numbers likely to be needed by all people at the local site
(the local takeaway, the local hardware store, the local clinic...).
Exchange public folders are almost an exact analogue to shared-namespace
mailboxes in Cyrus.

Once I learned the undocumented magic for creating public calendars and
address books in Cyrus (@karagian on Github posted it:
https://github.com/cyrusimap/cyrus-imapd/issues/2373#issuecomment-415738943)
it's worked very well.  My Outlook users use the free Caldav Synchronizer
plugin (https://caldavsynchronizer.org/)  to sync selected address books and
calendars to their clients.  I have a Perl script that queries our Active
Directory server over LDAP to set ACLs on the folders.

--
Deborah Pickett
System Administrator