Cyrus backups and deleted (users, mailboxes)

Deborah Pickett debbiep at polyfoam.com.au
Mon Nov 18 17:30:29 EST 2019

> But without rolling replication, or with mailboxes that were already DELETED.* before the backup service was configured, I'm not sure what to expect.  I'm not sure if this is a case that I considered and did something for, but have since forgotten about, or if it's a case that I hadn't considered yet.
>
> What happens if you xbackup the user(s) they belong(ed) to, rather than the DELETED.* mailboxes directly?  Does sync_client correctly detect them as renames, and replicate accordingly?  If not, what if you sync_client -u them manually?  If that doesn't work, what about sync_client -m with the DELETED.* names?

You're right, the DELETED mailboxes do turn up in user backups
automatically, so I think those renames are occurring as expected:

# /usr/lib/cyrus/bin/cyr_backup -f
cyrus-backup/partitions/default/d/debbiep\@polyfoam.com.au_* list
mailboxes | grep DELETED
r7vyz5wuyw3mfswj0xntumv2  1970-01-01 10:00:00
polyfoam.com.au!DELETED.user.debbiep.Trash.Test.5D8B4FED
[...]

There are some DELETED entries in the %SHARED backup too, so I _think_
that renames are working there too, but I don't have enough data yet to
know.  I'll go back and check when some more shared folder subfolders
have been deleted.

It may not be a problem that the DELETED mailboxes aren't getting
enumerated in XBACKUP.  By definition, a deleted mailbox will have no
further transactions on it, so there shouldn't be any need for it to be
transmitted during XBACKUP.  The only unknown at this stage is what
happens after the deleted mailboxes hit their expiry age: will they
vanish from the backup during compaction or will they need to be removed
manually?  My server isn't old enough for me to tell.

> I guess at this point you're deeper into the woods on this than anyone else has been (which is why it's called "experimental"!).  For me, it's great that you're trying stuff and shaking out the issues, but you're probably gonna find more, not less, as we go along

Hurrah, I think.

Sincere thanks for the info so far.

--
Deborah Pickett