Cyrus backups and deleted (users, mailboxes)

Deborah Pickett debbiep at polyfoam.com.au
Fri Nov 15 01:12:12 EST 2019

Semi-related questions about how Cyrus backup servers deal with deleted
stuff.

I have the following settings on the main mail server:

deletedprefix: DELETED
delete_mode: delayed
expunge_mode: delayed

My first question is about deleted folders.  Scenario: I delete a folder
on the server, and it is renamed into the DELETED namespace as
expected.  I cannot back these folders up to the backup server.  They
are not enumerated during "XBACKUP * channel", and if I name the DELETED
namespace explicitly I get the following output:

x xbackup DELETED/* rsync
* NO MAILBOX polyfoam.com.au!DELETED.rawmaterials.Trash.Downer
EDI.5DAD45A0 (Mailbox is locked)
* NO MAILBOX polyfoam.com.au!DELETED.support.Has Spaces.5DCA22F4
(Mailbox is locked)
x NO Mailbox is locked

(Which is not nearly the whole list either: it should have listed
hundreds of deleted folders.)

Is this expected behaviour?  I suppose that my backup has a copy of this
folder in its original location before it was deleted, so no one will
miss these folders, (though I can imagine scenarios where a message
arrives and is quickly put into a folder which is then deleted, and this
message will never touch the backup server).

My second question is about deleted users.  Scenario: A user "alice"
departs the company, and I delete their root mailbox on the main
server.  It is no longer enumerated during "XBACKUP * channel".

What will happen to the backup file a/alice_XXXXXX on the backup
server?  Will it stay there forever?  Do I need to manually delete it?
Do I need to manually remove alice from /var/lib/cyrus/backups.db?  I
suppose I can use "ctl_backups list -t" to detect such files.  Any other
things I should be aware of?

--
*Deborah Pickett*
System Administrator