squatter not used after upgrade to cyrus 3.0.8

Michael Menge michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Fri May 10 09:56:34 EDT 2019

Quoting Robert Stepanek <rsto at fastmailteam.com>:

> On Fri, May 10, 2019, at 2:18 PM, Michael Menge wrote:
>> no the problem is not completly resolved jet.
>> See for details.
>
> I tested this right now on the 3.0 branch, and I can confirm there's
> an issue of matches not being found. I don't have an answer why this
> is so, yet. I'm working on it.
>
>> > I've put in my impad.conf:
>> > search_engine: squat
>> > search_fuzzy_always: 1
>>
>> AFAIK the squat search engine does not support fuzzy search.
>> I am sure in my testing this setting didn't resolve the slow
>> search, but i don't remember if this setting did nothing,
>> or failed to find anything at all or what else happened
>> with this configuration.
>
> If I recall correctly, Cyrus uses the configured search engine only
> for fuzzy search. Non-fuzzy search is matched using the
> Cyrus-builtin routines, which will be slow: for body search it has
> to examine every message for that mailbox.
>
> If your client is sending something like:
>
>  C: 6 search body "body"
>
> then it won't use the squat/xapian index, unless you have
> search_fuzzy_always set.

Thanks Robert for looking into it.

I think there is some confusion here. I didn't test "search body",
not sure if this was supported by cyrus 2.4 and if yes if it made
use of the index.
What I did test was "search text" and "search header".
Both used the index in 2.4 and didn't use it in 3.0
in my initial configuration.

I was able to make cyrus use the squat index file again
for header search by enabling conversation db, though I had to
disable conversation db again on our production servers because
of other problems.

I can test again if search_fuzzy_always has an influence on
the usage of the usage of the "search text".

M.Menge                                Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
Universität Tübingen                   Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum für Datenverarbeitung          mail:
michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Wächterstraße 76
72074 Tübingen