cyrus_sasl 2.1.26 to 2.1.27 upgrade changed PAM behavior?

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Mar 21 09:59:19 EDT 2019

This is more of a curiosity question than a problem, as I finally
figured out why authentication stopped working on my cyrus-imapd 2.5.12
server.

I use sasl in PAM mode: /usr/sbin/saslauthd -a pam

A recent Arch linux system upgrade broke authentication on my email
server.  The only related change was cyrus_sasl was updated from 2.1.26
to 2.1.27.  After eliminating virtually every other possibility   I
finally tracked this down to the PAM configuration file for cyrus-imapd.
  The previous file (perhaps incorrectly) was simply this:

   auth  sufficient  pam_unix.so
   auth  required  pam_deny.so

I changed this to

   auth  sufficient  pam_unix.so
   auth  required  pam_deny.so
   account  required  pam_unix.so

which fixed the problem.  I can understand the account entry being
necessary for sasl authentication, but what I can't understand is why it
was not necessary for 2.1.26, but subsequently necessary for 2.1.27 --
what changed that led to this?