cyrus-imapd build dependencies

ellie timoney ellie at fastmail.com
Tue Mar 19 02:29:50 EDT 2019

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019, at 3:39 PM, Anatoli via Info-cyrus wrote:
>  > The Cyrus httpd provides DAV services (which use the HTTP protocol). If you want the Cyrus httpd to support HTTP/2, you will need libnghttp2. Otherwise it will only support HTTP/1.
>
>  Always wanted to ask what the nghttp2 dependency was for. From what you say I infer that it's only needed for HTTP/2. But what DAV service could benefit from this? Are there DAV clients that know HTTP/2?

No idea, but it's there if you want it! Speculating wildly, it might be useful for JMAP?

>  And speaking about the SNMP agent, are there any plans to complete the transfer of its code from the master process to an independent daemon, issue #1765 <https://github.com/cyrusimap/cyrus-imapd/issues/1765>? (It needs to be moved out to implement efficient chroot)

It's more likely to disappear entirely (see https://github.com/cyrusimap/cyrus-imapd/pull/2100) in favour of Prometheus (which is more powerful, more flexible, more human-readable, and is actually used by Fastmail -- and therefore more tested). But it won't disappear from a stable branch, so it won't be a surprise when it does.

Cheers,

ellie