faild to rename deleted mailbox, or how conversation db sucks again

Michael Menge michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Fri Mar 1 10:49:51 EST 2019

i have now a user request to restore a deleted mailbox.

This failed with "Invalid mailbox name" in cyradm. which is wrong in
the fist place,
because the new name was the original name.

In the Log files I found "can't rename a deleted mailbox" and I discovered
this in the source :-(

     /* we can't rename back from a deleted mailbox, because the conversations
      * information will be wrong.  Ideally we might re-calculate, but for now
      * we just throw a big fat error */
     if (config_getswitch(IMAPOPT_CONVERSATIONS) &&
         mboxname_isdeletedmailbox(oldmailbox->name, NULL)) {
         syslog(LOG_ERR, "can't rename a deleted mailbox %s",
oldmailbox->name);
         return IMAP_MAILBOX_BADNAME;
     }

So conversation db breaks one of the mail reasons "delete_mode: delayed"
(restoring deleted folders) without resorting to a filebased backup.

Is there an other way than disabling
- conversation db,
- restoring the folder,
- enabeling conversation db again (so that squat files are used for
header searches),
- rebuilding conversation db for all users (because there will be some
new mails between
   disabling and re-enabling conversation db).

Kind regards.

    Michael Menge

M.Menge                                Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
Universität Tübingen                   Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum für Datenverarbeitung          mail:
michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Wächterstraße 76
72074 Tübingen