upgrade to cyrus_imap or saslauth or both gon horribly wrong

James B Byrne byrnejb at gmx.com
Tue Jan 8 14:12:00 EST 2019

FreeBSD-11.2p7
cyrus-imapd30-3.0.8_2
cyrus-sasl-saslauthd-2.1.27
cyrus-sasl-2.1.27

This morning we upgraded our cyrus_imap server using the FreeBSD pkg package manager.  Following this we are unable to authenticate with imap.  The error we receive is this:

Jan  8 14:05:37 inet17 CYRUS/imaps[40533]: SASL cannot connect to saslauthd server: Permission denied
Jan  8 14:05:37 inet17 CYRUS/imaps[40533]: badlogin: servername [server address] plaintext username SASL(-1): generic failure: checkpass failed

imapd.conf was not changed.  it contains this:

sasl_mech_list:             PLAIN
sasl_pwcheck_method:        saslauthd

I am posting this from a temporary email because, duhh, I cannot access my regular mailbox.

I am open to any reasonable suggestions as to how to fix this, quickly.