Xapian searches of the body of an email

Egoitz Aurrekoetxea egoitz at sarenet.es
Mon Jan 7 13:32:40 EST 2019

Hi Robert!

I see! I though you only needed to run Squatter in rolling mode in the
slave.. I though the roling mode was just for slaves to take the
Squatter changes caused by a normal squatter command launched in the
master... So, if I run Squatter in the master in rolling mode... then I
assume there's no need to launch manually squatter command in the
master... isn't it?.

I'm planning to upgrade some 2.3 running machines to either 2.4 or
3.0.... and you know... is a big responsability... am doing tons of
sandbox testing... is it known (as Michael stated) not to be working
traditional squatter in 3.0 if you don't want to use now the Xapian
engine?.

I'll read the post right now :) :)

Thank you so much for all your help mate :)

Cheers!

---

EGOITZ AURREKOETXEA
Departamento de sistemas
944 209 470
Parque Tecnológico. Edificio 103
48170 Zamudio (Bizkaia)
egoitz at sarenet.es
www.sarenet.es [1]
Antes de imprimir este correo electrónico piense si es necesario
hacerlo.

El 07-01-2019 19:24, Robert Stepanek escribió:

> Hi Egon,
>
> Yes, the slave should index in conversations.db automatically AFAIK.
>
> You should run squatter in rolling mode on the master, too.
>
> BTW: in 2014, Bron wrote a blog post about the search setup at FastMail: https://fastmail.blog/2014/12/01/email-search-system/
> It's quite technical, but should give you a good idea at how it's set up for fast indexing and search
>
> Cheers, Robert
>
> On Mon, Jan 7, 2019, at 5:54 PM, Egoitz Aurrekoetxea wrote:
>
> Hi Robert!
>
> Thank you so much for helping us (mainly which is the one boring the list with questions :) although I promise I've checked the doc before asking :) :)  ).
>
> When you have a master/slave config... in the slave one, when running Squatter in rolling mode... does it update the conversations db too?. By the way, Squatter in rolling mode only makes sense in slave machines isn't it?.
>
> Many thanks!
>
> ---
>
> EGOITZ AURREKOETXEA
> Departamento de sistemas
>
> 944 209 470
> Parque Tecnológico. Edificio 103
> 48170 Zamudio (Bizkaia)
> egoitz at sarenet.es
>
> www.sarenet.es [1]
>
> Antes de imprimir este correo electrónico piense si es necesario hacerlo.
>
> El 07-01-2019 16:42, Robert Stepanek escribió:
> Hi,
>
> Sebastian is right:
>
> On Mon, Jan 7, 2019, at 3:57 PM, Sebastian Hagedorn wrote:
>
> squatter is nowadays a bit of a misnomer, because it uses whatever index
> you have configured. In cyrus 2.4, squatter would always create a SQUAT
> index. When you run squatter with Xapian, it will build the index, but for
> the index to actually work, you also need the conversationsdb.
>
> conversations.db is indeed a misnomer now. The database was only used to keep track of mail threads (hence the name), but its role expanded. One of the indexes it stores is the SHA1 hashes of every message, and separate hashes for each of that message MIME parts. Such a hash is named the GUID, and for each GUID we store a list of all mailbox:UID[bodypart] pairs where this content occurs in.
>
> For search, we keep track of the indexed messages by GUID, so we can avoid reindexing duplicate mails. To return a search result, we can now map that GUID back to its mailbox:message pairs. That's why we need conversations.db for search.
>
> I can't help with upgrading from 2.4, unfortunately, but if you re-index your mailboxes once in conversations.db, you should be all set.
>
> Cheers,
> Robert
>
> ----
> To Unsubscribe: