Migration issue with seen/subscription/sieve databases

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Mon Dec 30 04:59:25 EST 2019

Il 30-12-2019 01:51 ellie timoney ha scritto:
> You're both right.  Since 2.4ish (??  MAILBOX_MINOR_VERSION=12,
> anyway), a user's seen status on their own mailboxes is stored in the
> mailbox index.  But the separate userid.seen database is still used
> for storing their seen state on mailboxes that they don't own (but
> have ACL access to see).
>
> On a system that was set up after that change, I think the userid.seen
> file will only be created if the user views messages in a mailbox that
> they don't own.  If no-one has access to view anyone else's mailbox,
> this will never happen, which might explain why Patrick doesn't have
> any .seen files.

Very valuable information, thanks!

> It's probably safer to just rename them -- if nothing else, it'll be
> less confusing next time you or someone else looks at them.  If you
> wanted to move cautiously, you could hard link the corrected name, and
> then unlink the old name later once you're sure everything's working
> correctly.

True: in fact, I already prepared a "find" script which rename the
affected files rather than soft-linking them (exactly to avoid
confusions).

> With your old installation being as old as it is, it may contain data
> susceptible to https://github.com/cyrusimap/cyrus-imapd/issues/2839 (I
> have just fixed a typo in the upgrade documentation that linked to the
> wrong issue number, which will update on the web after the next hour.)
>  This issue wasn't fixed until 3.0.11, so I would check carefully
> whether CentOS has backported the patch to their 3.0.7 package.  There
> have also been security fixes in releases since 3.0.7, so you probably
> also want to check whether CentOS's 3.0.7 has backported these too.
> If the CentOS package hasn't backported these fixes, consider running
> the current version of Cyrus rather than the one CentOS provides.

Are you referring to the problem described here [1]? If so, from the
linked page I read:
"Versions of 3.0 prior to 3.0.11 contained a bug (Issue #2839) that
could lead to loss of seen state/flags during reconstruct for some
messages that already existed prior to Cyrus 2.3"

My Cyrus installation was never older than 2.3.x, so I thought the bug
should not affect me. Am I wrong?

Thanks a lot.

[1]
https://cyrusimap.org/imap/download/upgrade.html#reconstruct-databases-and-cache