Migration issue with seen/subscription/sieve databases

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Fri Dec 20 03:51:25 EST 2019

Hi all,
I am tasked to migrate an old cyrus 2.3.x CentOS6 installation to a new
CentOS8 server with cyrus 3.0.7.

I'm following the instructions at
https://cyrusimap.org/imap/download/upgrade.html (compresive of berkeley
db format change to skiplist) and all is mostly working, except for some
important per-user databases: seen, subscription and sieve.

The issue basically seems one of a different file names, revolving
around using "." (dot) instead of "^" (circumflex). For example, the old
cyrus installation has the following per-user database structure:

[root at ceres imap]# cd /var/lib/imap; find -iname "*^*" | grep danti
./sieve/domain/a/assyoma.it/g/g^danti
./domain/a/assyoma.it/user/g/g^danti.seen
./domain/a/assyoma.it/user/g/g^danti.sub
./domain/a/assyoma.it/quota/g/user.g^danti

However the new installation simply ignores the above files, creating
*new* empty files with "." (dot) separator, except for the quota (which
is correctly understand and no new file was created). This means I lose
all information about subscribed folder, seen mails and sive filtering.

A very simple workaround seems to soft-link the dot-enabled files with
the circumflex ones, ie: "cd ./domain/a/assyoma.it/user/g/; ln -s
g^danti.seen g.danti.seen"

I wonder if this is the right thing to do, or if I am missing something.
Please also consider that on the old server I already had
"unixhierarchysep: 1", matching the new 3.x default. Anyway, flipping
that option has no effect on how cyrus names the above files.

Any suggestion to solve this problem?
Thanks.

--
Danti Gionatan