Upgrade report debian cyrus

ellie timoney ellie at fastmail.com
Sun Aug 4 20:21:32 EDT 2019

On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 5:13 PM Lars Schimmer <l.schimmer at cgv.tugraz.at> wrote:
> and on second run it did find a lot of mails with "reappending" messages.

Actually, this sounds like this bug: https://github.com/cyrusimap/cyrus-imapd/issues/2839 (fixed last week in 3.0.11)
There is a Debian report for it too: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=933163

I guess we're going to see a lot of this here, as people start upgrading older systems to the new Debian stable and getting Debian's 3.0.8 instead of whatever they had before.

On Fri, Aug 2, 2019, at 12:44 AM, Savvas Karagiannidis wrote:
> there was an issue when upgrading to 3.0.x from older versions (2.x). The issue is this:
> https://github.com/cyrusimap/cyrus-imapd/issues/2208
>
> Ellie explains the exact issues with old mail in the last comment before closing the issue mentioned above and I'm surprised to not see any mention of this (the -G parameter) in the 3.0 release notes and upgrade instructions...

Oh, I'd forgotten about that! I'm going to add a note about this to the reconstruct -G documentation as well as the upgrade notes.

It is a different issue though: the impact of #2208 (since the crash was fixed in 3.0.8, anyway) is being unable to replicate due to missing GUID's. You need reconstruct with -G before upgrading if you plan to build a new server and replicate your old store to it (which you will find out when you try to replicate). But it won't affect in-place upgrades until you try to replicate them somewhere later.

#2839 is rather more annoying because it affects in-place upgrades and copy-files-and-reconstruct upgrades!

Cheers,

ellie