Slow start of imap service

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Mon Oct 1 04:32:14 EDT 2018

Op 01-10-18 om 05:13 schreef ellie timoney:
> On Mon, Oct 1, 2018, at 12:32 PM, ellie timoney wrote:
>> You could use the tls_sessions_db_path imapd.conf(5) option to put this
>> database onto faster storage?
>>
>>>          tls_sessions_db_path: <none>
>>>              The absolute path to the TLS sessions db file. If not specified, will  be
>>>              configdirectory/tls_sessions.db
>>
>> If you have the RAM for it, you should be able to put tls_sessions.db on
>> a tmpfs filesystem.  This database is only a cache, so nothing valuable
>> will be lost if the machine is rebooted; and as a cache, it benefits
>> from being on the fastest storage you have available. :)
>
> Buuut, note that there's a bug in current releases of 2.5 where tls_prune will fail if the tls_sessions.db doesn't exist, preventing the server starting up.  This will occur after ever reboot if you put this database on ephemeral storage!  You can work around this by having your service init script touch the file before running master.

When I understand you well, I could also remove the database and create
an empty file before starting. As a work-arround.

> The real fix for this is already in git, so it will be included in 2.5.12, which will hopefully be out this week!

My problem is that I use the version in Debian, what is not good
maintained at the moment. Cyrus-imap is removed from Debian testing last
year. This means that when nobody cares, Cyrus will not be in the next
Debian version. And also not in many other Linux distro's like Ubuntu.
The freeze is in Januar/Februar.

https://tracker.debian.org/news/859151/cyrus-imapd-removed-from-testing/
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/cyrus-imapd
https://release.debian.org/#release-dates

You will say: use the upstream version. But sorry, I have to worry about
many programs. My choice at the moment is to use software what's in
Debian. I am using Cyrus imap about 17 years now, but it's possible I
even have to switch to something else for this reason.

Much thanks for your support!

With regards,
Paul

https://www.vandervlis.nl/