IMAPD-3.0.8 on FreeBSD-11.2 unindexed messages in inbox

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Fri Nov 30 10:24:56 EST 2018

While investigating a problem I encountered a(nother) situation that I
do not understand.

I entered a user's root mailbox using cd and did 'ls -l *\.'.  There
are 245 files with names like '999\.' in this directory.  My
understanding is that this would up as 245 messages in the user's
INBOX display.  However, the user's INBOX only shows 36.

There is is also a subfolder named 'INBOX^Trash' that is shown to
contain 246 messages but which actually contains 14820.

I am not familiar with IMAP3 and have only recently converted to it
from imap2 running on a different host.  It was during the conversion
process that the existing .Trash/.Sent/.Drafts were replaced by
INBOX^Trash/INBOX^Sent/INBOX^Drafts.  So there may be something
obvious that I do not know about.

I speculate that this has something to do with the difference between
delete and expunge but I would like to know for certain what is
happening if someone would explain it to me.

Thanks

Canada  L8E 3C3