Cyrus IMAP 'CAPABILITIES' and 'AUTH=PLAIN'

Marty Lee marty at maui-systems.co.uk
Thu Nov 1 17:25:43 EDT 2018

Forgive me asking this question, we’ve just had a server disk that’s starting
to die in a remote location, and I’m frantically trying to clone some IMAP
users onto another server - along with a number of other things.

Despite imapd.conf having 'allowplaintext:  yes’ (it’s an internal server)
when logging in, ‘AUTH=LOGIN’ isn’t advertised, yet it works if I manually
try to login. ‘imapsync’ is complaining as it can’t see the LOGIN capability.

I’m about to start looking at the code, but if anyone can let me know if a
setting needs changed, that would be great - clearly, I’ve got a number of
things to try to get off this server ASAP, so any advice would be greatly
appreciated.

Server version is 3.0.4:

[root at imapserver /opt/local/etc/cyrus]# nc localhost 143
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID ENABLE] imapserver Cyrus IMAP 3.0.4 server ready
0 CAPABILITY
* CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID ENABLE ACL RIGHTS=kxten QUOTA MAILBOX-REFERRALS NAMESPACE UIDPLUS NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND BINARY CATENATE CONDSTORE ESEARCH SEARCH=FUZZY SORT SORT=MODSEQ SORT=DISPLAY SORT=UID THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS ANNOTATEMORE ANNOTATE-EXPERIMENT-1 METADATA LIST-EXTENDED LIST-STATUS LIST-MYRIGHTS LIST-METADATA WITHIN QRESYNC SCAN XLIST XMOVE MOVE SPECIAL-USE CREATE-SPECIAL-USE DIGEST=SHA1 X-REPLICATION URLAUTH URLAUTH=BINARY COMPRESS=DEFLATE X-QUOTA=STORAGE X-QUOTA=MESSAGE X-QUOTA=X-ANNOTATION-STORAGE X-QUOTA=X-NUM-FOLDERS IDLE

Many regards

Marty