Syntax for mailbox_default_options

Nels Lindquist nlindq at maei.ca
Tue May 22 14:04:34 EDT 2018

On 2018/04/12 10:09 PM, ellie timoney wrote:

>> On Fri, Apr 13, 2018, at 1:21 AM, Nels Lindquist wrote: The man
>> page for imapd.conf has this to say regarding
>> "mailbox_default_options":

>> Well, I don't know what I'm doing and I'm not finding anything in
>> the documentation (or Google) to help.
>>
>> What's the syntax for this directive?

> I believe it's an integer bitmask of the OPT_* values that are
> defined in imap/mailbox.h in the source.
>
> The sparse documentation suggests it's for developer, rather than
> normal administrator use, maybe for rigging up tests? It's included
> in the imapd.conf man page because that man page is autogenerated
> from the code that processes the options.
>
> Unless you've got something in particular you're trying to do, I'd
> probably just leave it alone. :)

Okay, I do need it.  I have a legacy server with Cyrus IMAPD 2.3.x
installed, and I need to enable the CONDSTORE flag by default on all
newly created mailboxes/subfolders.

- From imap/mailbox.h:

#define OPT_POP3_NEW_UIDL (1<<0)
#define OPT_IMAP_CONDSTORE (1<<1)
#define OPT_IMAP_SHAREDSEEN (1<<2)
#define OPT_IMAP_DUPDELIVER (1<<3)

And also:

#define OFFSET_MAILBOX_OPTIONS 60

So given that POP3_NEW_UIDL appears to be on by default and the others
are all off, would the syntax be:

(Offset int 60 + (1 << 1 = int 2) + (1 << 0 = int 1) = int 63)

mailbox_default_options: 63

Am I on the right track?

Nels Lindquist <nlindq at maei.ca>