ios mail app cannot access special-use folders, occurs only on our production cyrus

Sebastian Pein cyrus-info at spit.de.com
Fri May 18 07:47:34 EDT 2018

hi there.

i've been following this list for a while, but this is my first posting.
since there are so many quite experienced people around here, i hope
someone comes up with an idea. i realize in a way this is not about
cyrus but more about ios apple mail, but as it only appears with
mailboxes on our cyrus server, it is. thanks in advance! (my apologies
if this is offtopic to this list.)

we are running cyrus 3.0.5 on gentoo. it has been updated from
2.5.something a couple of weeks ago. we are and have been facing an
issue, where ios mail app clients have difficulties in accessing
special-use folders. it is a bit hard to describe, because there seems
to be a change in behaviour over time (that is the time between setting
up a client, and then using it for say 5 minutes). this happens only to
apple mail app on ios devices, eg airmail app on ios is fine. the issue
started with version ~11.1, but i cannot tell exactly, since user
reports were a bit vague at the time and didnt reach our IT department
really at one time altogether. it is still occuring up to ios 11.4b6.

so what typically happens, a user comes to our IT department...:

case 1: a user comes to our IT department being unable to delete mails
from his inbox on his iphone. looking into it we see the trash folder
appears empty.
case 2: a user comes to our IT department being unable to access his
sent mail folder. looking into it we see the sent folder appears empty.

both folders of course do contain mails. from every other mail client
access works just fine. (even mail.app on osx.)

to see what is going on we check the mappings in the account in ios
system settings. the problem seems to be that mail does not keep the
special-use mappings, it falls back to the default ones. the same
happens to the inbox prefix: changing it to "INBOX" and saving the
changes, will result in the default setting "/" again. but: when
deleting the account and setting it up from scratch, the settings will
be correctly saved for a couple of minutes! then after 5 minutes or so,
inbox prefix and special-use mapping is lost again. (it took me ages to
find out about the delay!) so since the mapping is not setup right, i
understand that access to subfolders will then not work correctly.
affected are only the special-use folders, regular subfolder are
accessible just fine.

in imapd.conf the "autocreate_*" is set:
autocreate_inbox_folders:       "Sent | Trash | Drafts | Junk"
autocreate_subscribe_folders:   "Sent | Trash | Drafts | Junk"

and since cyrus has been in use for a long time, we are using
"INBOX"-prefix:
unixhierarchysep:       0
altnamespace:           off

i found postings about similar behaviours, but those were related to
murder setups. nevertheless i already testet:
suppress_capabilities:        LIST-STATUS
suppress_capabilities:        LIST-EXTENDED
suppress_capabilities:        CREATE-SPECIAL-USE
but that didnt change anything.

also, i removed and had recreated *.sub files where the subscriptions
are stored, but that didnt change anything either.

why i turn myself to this list? this happens only to our
production-system of cyrus. i did install a testlab environment,
identical to our production system, and i was not able to reproduce the
error. even after coyping over a mailbox from the live system, the
mailbox seemed to be "cured". our production system has about 4tb of
mails, so switching is something i would like to prevent.

i really hope the behaviour comes out of an error i configured, so it
might be corrected with missing parameters in imapd.conf or an operation
on cyrus configuration files.

does my description make any sense to you? is anyone else experiencing
this? is there any more precise information i can provide? i am more or
less out of ideas what to further test. so any idea or hint is greatly
appreciated.

best regards,
sebastian