Xapian/Cyrus/Thunderbird

Robert Stepanek rsto at fastmailteam.com
Fri May 11 07:32:29 EDT 2018

On Fri, May 11, 2018, at 13:04, Sebastian Hagedorn wrote:
> For my understanding: does that mean the Xapian index is only used for
> clients that support RFC 6203? If that is the case, how are "traditional"
> IMAP searches handled?

For non-FUZZY text SEARCH, Cyrus attempts to match the string on its own [1]. Off the top of my head, I don't think Cyrus falls back to the search-engine index for large corpus text matches. Using FUZZY always is the better choice, but if there's a real-world issue, please let me know. It might be possible to switch to Xapian also for non-FUZZY search.

Cheers,
Robert

[1] https://github.com/cyrusimap/cyrus-imapd/blob/master/imap/search_expr.c#L2077