Backup methods

Arnaldo Viegas de Lima arnaldo at viegasdelima.com
Thu May 10 12:29:23 EDT 2018

One alternative, if you are running VMs (such as VMWare or Hyper-V)  is resort to a VM backup program that will uses native change tracking (VMWare CBT and Hyper-V RCT). This allows for a consistent and incremental backup of the VM’s. It’s quite fast and saves lots of space. The backup is incremental (based on disk clusters) and is performed on a temporary VM snapshot.

I use this approach, but my spool is no where close to a TB (or To for the francophones). Works fine and I’ve performed a few disaster recovery tests without problems.

Arnaldo