Moving from single to multi-domain. Mailboxes from default domain not being the same as before

ellie timoney ellie at fastmail.com
Mon Jul 16 21:55:52 EDT 2018

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018, at 3:37 AM, Heiler Bemerguy wrote:
> Em 06/07/2018 00:10, ellie timoney escreveu:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The "defaultdomain" is the domain that's assumed by Cyrus for users
>> that are uid only.  Any other domain needs to be explicitly specified
>> in the user (this applies to login, delivery, etc).  So, if you have:>>
>>       defaultdomain: foo.com
>>
>> then "user" and "user at foo.com" are the same account (and can login
>> using either variation), but "user at bar.com" is some other account and
>> can only login as "user at bar.com".>>
>> It's not clear to me how you wish to use the extra domains.  Do you
>> want your existing users to be able to send/receive from multiple
>> different domains?  (e.g. user "anne" has both email addresses
>> "anne at foo.com", "anne at bar.com").>
> We used to have some domains that represented the same mailbox. Like
> @cinbesa.com.br being the same as @belem.pa.gov.br.. but now we want
> to create some other domains (while *maintaining* those we already
> had), which will point to totally different mailboxes, like
> @semad.belem.pa.gov.br and @sesma.belem.pa.gov.br :)>
>

>> Or do you want accounts in different domains to be not related to
>> each other? (e.g. "anne at foo.com" and "anne at bar.com" are>> two totally different accounts)
>>
>> In either case, I would think about having one LDAP attribute (single-
>> value, unique) to represent a user's "primary" email address, and a
>> separate LDAP attribute (multi-value, unique) to represent their
>> "aliases".  You would set up Cyrus to only consider the "primary"
>> attribute, and then set up your SMTP server to deliver email destined
>> for "alias" addresses to the "primary" address for the matching
>> account.  I believe this is a common enough configuration that it
>> shouldn't be hard to find information online.  I have managed (non-
>> Cyrus) systems that worked like this in the past, but it was a long
>> time ago so I can't offer much specific help.>
> humm. so the existing "mail" field on ldap would always contain the
> @defaultdomain (as setup on cyrus), but another field for aliases
> where Postfix would look up?!
The "mail" attribute wouldn't need to always contain the @defaultdomain,
but it would always need to match the account that Cyrus knows about.
And then the aliases attribute (I've seen "mailalternateaddress" used
for this) would contain any other addresses that need to deliver to the
same account.
defaultdomain is just for telling Cyrus what to assume when no domain is
specified, none of your accounts need to actually use it, and in fact
this domain doesn't even need to exist (unless accounts use it).  At
FastMail, I believe our defaultdomain is set to some nonsense value like
"internal" or "invalid" or something, which none of our accounts use,
and the side effect of this is that every account must always have a
(real) domain explicitly specified.  I'd recommend doing something
similar, just to avoid confusion from Cyrus making assumptions.
Basically what I'm saying here is, if you:

* set it up in LDAP so that each account has exactly one "mail"
  attribute which matches their Cyrus account, and as many aliases as
  they need, and* set up Postfix to handle the alias rewriting on delivery, and
* set up Cyrus to look up the "mail" attribute (only) for authentication
  (as you have already done), and if necessary, instruct your users to
  use their full "mail" address as their login name
then:

* your defaultdomain doesn't really matter, because everything in Cyrus
  will use the full "mail" address, and* Cyrus won't autocreate multiple inboxes for people, because it never
  sees their aliases
If you provide a webmail interface to your users, it will also need to
know about their LDAP attributes so that they can send mail "from" an
alias if they need to.  But if your users just use IMAP, they can just
be set up in the client.

>> As for autocreate, it is not compiled in by default, it needs to be
>> turned on at build time with the --enable-autocreate argument to
>> configure.  If you installed Cyrus from a distribution, your
>> distribution may have done this for you.>>
>> If you don't want to recompile to remove the feature, you can control
>> it using the autocreate_* options in imapd.conf (see man
>> imapd.conf.5).  For example you should be able to use
>> "autocreate_users" to limit it only to certain LDAP groups rather
>> than every valid login (if that is useful to you).>>
>> But if you set up your LDAP directory and Cyrus such that each user
>> only has a single "primary" email address that they can use in Cyrus,
>> and map delivery to aliases outside of Cyrus, then people won't be
>> able to login with the "wrong" alias, and therefore autocreate won't
>> accidentally make new accounts for them. :)>>
>  Right now I think they can login with the "uid" only OR with the
>  complete mail ("mail" field)>

If you still have your ldap_filter set to*
"(&(objectClass=inetOrgPerson)(mail=%U@%d))"* (per your original
message), then they will currently be able to login with just the "uid"
if their full "mail" address contains the defaultdomain.  This is
because of how Cyrus assumes the defaultdomain if there's no domain.  If
you have users whose "mail" is one of your other domains, they will be
able to login with their full "mail" address, but not with just the
"uid" part.  :)
If you change your defaultdomain to some nonsense value like I suggested
earlier, then everyone will need to login with their full "mail"
address, but that address can be set to any of your real domains.  This
might be confusing for users who used to just log in with "uid", but
depending on the size of your organisation, might be less confusing
overall if everyone's login is their full mail address.
Cheers,

ellie