Why Cyrus?

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Jan 19 06:29:03 EST 2018

> Op 17-01-18 om 12:33 schreef Sebastian Hagedorn: >> Hi,
>>
>>> A new customer asks me to build a new mailserver environment with
>>> Dovecot. I normally use Cyrus.
>>>
>>> My question: What's better in Cyrus?

This is terribly OCD, but I can't stand the maildir message formatting
Dovecot uses.  Ugh, how inelegant.

6-8 years ago (when all the distros switched to Dovecot) cyrus wasn't
being maintained very well. Since then the FastMail team has taken the
reigns of development and is kicking ass.

That makes the choice kind of clear, in my mind.  AFAIK Dovecot is
developed by just one person (or at the very least a small team) of
volunteer developers.  If he/they get bored and move on to something
else ...   Meanwhile, Cyrus now has commercial backing, which makes it a
much more securely stable platform choice if you're just starting out
and trying to decide which one to go with.

The biggest ongoing problem with Cyrus is the documentation, not that
it's harder to install.  Cyrus is, if anything, easier to install than
Dovecot (modulo distro packaging, which is the main difference here).
The Dovecot guy writes very good documentation, and until recently
trying to get information about how to set up Cyrus was like pulling
teeth. I'm always having to appeal to this list whenever an issue comes
up.  Recently I set up a vacation notification system.  Super easy AFTER
A MONTH SPENT researching how to do it. I'm still not completely clear
on how to set up multiple virtual mailhosts, either; my next onerous
email research project.

FastMail of course has no incentive or reason to write documentation
making it easier to set up your own Cyrus system(s); that's going to be
up to the community.