Running a script with cyradm throwing ReadLine errors

Binarus lists at binarus.de
Sun Dec 16 04:04:58 EST 2018

Dear all,

I was just trying to explore cyradm a little bit further and hence was experimenting with its scripting capabilities. Having cyradm run a script should be pretty easy. man cyradm tells us:

  perl -MCyrus::IMAP::Shell -e 'run("myscript")'

So I created the simplest possible script (that means an empty one) and tried to run it:

  touch 000
  chmod a+x 000 (just in case ...)
  perl -MCyrus::IMAP::Shell -e 'run("000")'

The only thing I got was:

  Use of uninitialized value within @layers in string eq at /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.24.1/Term/ReadLine/Gnu.pm line 280.
  Bad filehandle: __DATA__ at /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.24.1/Term/ReadLine/Gnu.pm line 769.

Putting something meaningful into the script did not change the situation.

I have googled and read documentation (mainly on cyrusimapd.org) for several hours, but could not find the reason for the problem.

I even have put allowplaintext=yes into imapd.conf and restarted imapd (knowing that this probably wasn't very smart, but the term "layers" in the error message made me mistrustful because there are authentication "layers", and I don't have any problems with Term::ReadLine::Gnu in general). As expected, this didn't change the situation either.

This happened with 2.4.16 as well as with 2.5.10.

Could anybody please tell me what I might do wrong here?

Thank you very much in advance,

Binarus