Conversations and search

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Thu Aug 16 08:04:22 EDT 2018

Hi,

I have a question regarding the conversations db and how it affects
(Xapian) search. In this GitHub issue
(<https://github.com/cyrusimap/cyrus-imapd/issues/2376>) I was dealing with
Xapian search always failing. The underlying reason turned out to be an
empty conversations db. When I regenerate that user's conversations db,
Xapian search works fine. So far, so good. But then I noticed this piece of
documentation:

<https://www.cyrusimap.org/imap/concepts/deployment/databases.html?highlight=conversations#conversations-userid-conversations>

Quote: "This file contains all the message-id fields from every email that
has been seen in the ***past three months***, mapping to the conversation
IDs in which this message ID has been seen, and the timestamp when it was
last seen."

This raises a number of questions. What does "has been seen" mean in this
context? And does it mean that Xapian search will always fail to find
emails that arrived more than three months ago?? That doesn't sound very
useful ...
--
    .:.Sebastian Hagedorn - Weyertal 121 (Gebäude 133), Zimmer 2.02.:.
                 .:.Regionales Rechenzentrum (RRZK).:.