Help! Cyrus 2.5.11 segmentation fault

Wolfgang Breyha wbreyha at gmx.net
Fri Aug 3 07:25:57 EDT 2018

Hi!

Sorry for the late answer... most likely you already fixed your issue...

On 16/07/18 10:43, Marco Chesi wrote:
> Hello,
> we have a Cyrus 2.5.11 on Debian 7 using murder (2 frontends, 3 backends, 1
> mupdate, about  5000 mailboxes) in production environment, hosted by a
> VMware cluster 6.5.
>
> Suddenly, ALL mailboxes have becomed inaccessible.
>
> In the log, we found many messages like this:
>
>    master[5965]: process type:SERVICE name:imaps path:/usr/cyrus/bin/proxyd
> age:82.255s pid:5987 signaled to death by signal 11 (Segmentation fault)
>
> I tried many times to restart the cyrus service on all servers without
> success.
>
> Users are authenticated correctly, error occurs when they try to access the
> mailbox (trying with a manual connection using telnet, client dies on a
> "SELECT INBOX" command after a successfull login)

Actually that's the point when your frontend connects to your backend to
access the mailbox. So, you've troubles with backend authentication. Most
likely the proxy user is somehow broken.

At this point you're hit by an quite old bug...

2.5.11 misses the patch for this issue which was committed (backported from
3.0 where it was applied in 2016) in November 2017. Don't know why no
release was done for that yet.

see:
https://github.com/cyrusimap/cyrus-imapd/issues/40
At the bottom you'll find the two patches which fix this issue.

If you're able to rebuild new packages include these patches. If not,
you've to convince the debian people to provide an update with them.

But most likely the issue goes away if you fix your backend authentication
anyway.

Greetings, Wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Breyha <wbreyha at gmx.net> | https://www.blafasel.at/
Vienna University Computer Center | Austria