[SOLVED] Re: Cannot LOGIN using openssl s_client

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Fri Apr 27 10:47:18 EDT 2018

On Fri, April 27, 2018 09:56, James B. Byrne wrote:

> openssl s_client \
>   -connect imap.hamilton.harte-lyne.ca:993 \
>   -CApath /usr/local/etc/pki/tls/certs
>
> Resulting in:
> . . .
>     Start Time: 1524836386
>     Timeout   : 300 (sec)
>     Verify return code: 19 (self signed certificate in certificate
> chain)
> ---
> * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID AUTH=PLAIN SASL-IR
> COMPRESS=DEFLATE] inet07.hamilton.harte-lyne.ca Cyrus IMAP
> v2.3.16-Fedora-RPM-2.3.16-15.el6 server ready
>
> LOGIN testusermb testuserpw
> LOGIN BAD Please login first
>
> According to the documentation the message LOGIN BAD means that the
> arguments to the LOGIN command are not understood.  But, as far as I
> can discover, the LOGIN command only takes two arguments: user name
> and password.
>
> I get the same results on both the new SM host and the old so the
> issue is with my employment of s_client.  How does one connect to a
> mailbox using s_client?

I discovered that one must first preface IMAP commands with an
arbitrary string.  So this works:

str LOGIN testusermb testuserpw
str OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID LOGINDISABLED
AUTH=PLAIN COMPRESS=DEFLATE ACL RIGHTS=kxte QUOTA MAILBOX-REFERRALS
NAMESPACE UIDPLUS NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND
BINARY SORT SORT=MODSEQ THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES
ANNOTATEMORE CATENATE CONDSTORE SCAN IDLE LISTEXT LIST-SUBSCRIBED
X-NETSCAPE URLAUTH] User logged in

Canada  L8E 3C3