No cleaning-up processes?

ellie timoney ellie at fastmail.com
Mon Sep 4 22:19:39 EDT 2017

what exactly is the problem you experience when the maxchild value is
reached?  what do you mean by "overtime"?
cyrus imapd processes are designed to be long-lived, and to serve
multiple clients before exiting.  if your imap client users are few
and their connections are long lived, then i would expect to see lots
of processes existing for a long time.  that's just normal behaviour -
we really need a description of the problem you're experiencing after
this point
the config andre provided might provide a start in tuning your setup
better for your environment, please review it in conjunction with the
cyrus.conf(5) man page
also keep in mind that common clients (e.g. thunderbird) will open many
parallel connections, this is not unusual and not a problem unless it
stresses your hardware
if in doubt, you can instruct cyrus to terminate any unused processes at
any time by sending a SIGHUP to the master process. this won't affect
any active client connections
cheers,

ellie