Default value changes in Cyrus 3

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmailteam.com
Thu Oct 19 21:20:39 EDT 2017

Yes, if you change either it will force a re-download of messages and
resync of mailbox listing.
I would recommend setting it to the old values if you upgrade an
existing server.  You can also do something like we did at FastMail -
set up a new hostname with the new defaults using per-service imapd.conf
options, and recommend that  users use the new hostname when setting up
new clients.  That way you don't break things for existing users.
The reason for new defaults in a major version change is to allow new
sites to have sane defaults for the future.
Bron.

On Fri, 20 Oct 2017, at 12:15, Stephen Ingram wrote:
> I'm not sure I really know what that means. Would that change the
> hierarchy? Force a download of all messages again on the client side?>
> Steve
>
> On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 6:04 PM, Patrick Boutilier
> <boutilpj at ednet.ns.ca> wrote:>> On 10/19/2017 08:56 PM, Janos Dohanics wrote:

>>> Never tried it, but I read this page that the answer is yes.
>>>
>>> https://www.cyrusimap.org/imap/reference/admin/sop/altnamespace.html>>
>> Yes, seems possible but there is this warning on
>> https://www.cyrusimap.org/imap/concepts/features/namespaces.html#imap-admin-namespaces-mode>>
>>

>>  Warning
>>
>>  Changing altnamespace in an active operating environment will cause
>>  all IMAP clients to need to resync the entire hierarchy.>>
>> ----
>>  Cyrus Home Page: http://www.cyrusimap.org/
>>  List Archives/Info:
> ----