Default value changes in Cyrus 3

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmailteam.com
Thu Oct 19 17:02:04 EDT 2017

Basically:

1) most of the rest of the world is using '/', so people expect it.
   Also, it means you can use '.' in mailbox names and in usernames,
   both of which people expect to be able to do due to other systems
   allowing it.
2) various clients expect to be able to create top level names and get
   sad if they don't.  The reason not to use altnamespace in the past
   was that it didn't allow subfolders of INBOX, and there were a few
   other broken things about sort.  They have now been fixed, so it's
   safe to make it the default.
Both changes are to make the "out of the box" behaviour closer to what
most people expect.
Cheers,

Bron.

On Fri, 20 Oct 2017, at 00:44, Janos Dohanics wrote:
> As I'm preparing to move to Cyrus 3, I have noticed that
> unixhierarchysep (/) is now "on" as well as altnamespace is now "on".>
> I have mostly been using default settings in previous versions, and I> guess one shouldn't change sensible defaults willy-nilly, so I assume> developers had good reasons to change these defaults?
>
> --
> Janos Dohanics
> ----

  Bron Gondwana, CEO, FastMail Pty Ltd