cannot expunge messages

Eugene M. Zheganin emz at norma.perm.ru
Mon Nov 13 12:41:24 EST 2017

Hi,

I'm using cyrus 2.5.11. I have abount hundred mailboxes, most of them
are used by users which still prefer POP3 over IMAP, but recently I
noticed that I have non-deleted mail for almost a year in such
mailboxes. I also have a roundcube web-interface configured to use IMAP,
so I took a brief look in one of such mailboxes and in contains only one
letter (obviously not fetched by the user at the time being).

I have in cyrus.conf:

EVENTS {
   checkpoint cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -c" period=30

   delprune cmd="cyr_expire -E 3" at=0400

   deleteprune cmd="cyr_expire -E 4 -D 5" at=0430
   expungeprune cmd="cyr_expire -E 4 -X 5" at=0445

   tlsprune cmd="tls_prune" at=0400
}

Liiks like 'cyr_expire -E 4 -X 5' should expunge all the old mail, but
clearly this isn't happening. Why ? I'vetried to launch it by hand under
the cyrus user - nothing happens. I've also set the 'expire' property to
5 for all of the mailboxes:

# cyradm --user cyrus localhost
Password:
localhost> info
{Server Wide}
   private:
     admin: NIL
     comment: NIL
     expire: NIL
     squat: NIL
   shared:
     admin: NIL
     comment: NIL
     motd: NIL
     expire: 5
     freespace: 97686204
     most: 97686204;153245190
     total: 97686204;153245190
     shutdown: NIL
     squat: NIL
localhost>

This is what's happening when I launch this manually:

[cyrus at gw0:~]> cyr_expire -vvv -E 3 -D 3 -X3
Expunging deleted messages in mailboxes older than 3.00 days

Expired 0 and expunged 6386 out of 1915882 messages from 316 mailboxes
Removing deleted mailboxes older than 3.00 days
Removed 0 deleted mailboxes

This doesn't help either (by the way: what is a private and shared
mailbox ? looks like cyrus documentation isn't much better than 15 years
ago).

I'm starting to think that may be I should delete these messages by hand.

Thanks.

Eugene.