Problems with cyrus 2.5.10 after system update

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at mail.utexas.edu
Wed May 17 09:53:57 EDT 2017

I had to update my mail server for unrelated reasons, after which I
couldn't get cyrus-master to start.  It turned out to be related to
ctl_cyrusdb not running because the program was compiled against
libssl.so.1.0 while this library had been upgraded to libssl.so.1.1

So, I recompiled cyrus  (I'm running Arch linux and am using the
cyrus-imapd AUR package) but now it doesn't seem to be able to use SSL
at all.  When I start my MUA I get a message

"The IMAP server ... does not support the selected authentication
method:  which is STARTTLS over port 143.

Any ideas on what I can do short of downgrading libssl.so to libssl.so.1.0?