What happened to normalizeuid?

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Fri Jan 20 08:49:49 EST 2017

--On 20. Januar 2017 um 07:34:20 -0600 Nic Bernstein <nic at onlight.com>
wrote:

> The "normalize" patch included by Debian isn't that far off from what the
> option "usercase_tolower" already offers:
>
>     username_tolower (*on*|off)
>     Convert usernames to all lowercase before login/authentication.  This
>     is useful with authentication backends which ignore case during
>     username lookups (such as LDAP).
>
> Here's what the Debian patch (0013-Normalize-the-authentication-ID.patch)
> says:
>
>     By normalize, it is intended that;
>
>          1) Authentication IDs all can be lowercased for more accurate
>             comparison without being volatile to, say, user error, and
>          2) Any leading or trailing blank space can be stripped
>
> And then they go on to patch, mostly, lib/auth_unix.c (as well as
> global.c, imapoptions, etc.).
>
> Other than trimming white space, I can't see what the big deal is with
> this patch.

You are right. Thanks, I wasn't aware of that option. I can only guess that
the normalizeuid patch pre-dates the username_tolower option, but the
latter should be good enough.

Cheers
Sebastian
--
    .:.Sebastian Hagedorn - Weyertal 121 (Gebäude 133), Zimmer 2.02.:.
                 .:.Regionales Rechenzentrum (RRZK).:.