Split mailboxes on server migration

Hiago Prata hcprata at ufpa.br
Fri Dec 29 18:57:54 EST 2017

Hi, I'm trying split users mailboxes into two smaller servers running
Cyrus-IMAP (for organizational purposes only). These servers are running
the newest version of Cyrus-IMAP available to a Debian system
(2.5.10-3), while the old server runs Cyrus on version 2.2.13-14. I've
done the migration of another server running this same version to the
newest version with no problems.

Now, I need to do a migration to the new servers and split the
mailboxes. This is what I did for the first server already:

 - Back up part of the mailboxes to the new server using RSYNC;

 - Back up the files contained in the /VAR/LIB/CYRUS/DOMAIN directory;

 - Dump the corresponding entries of the mailboxes.db using CTL_MBOXLIST
-D;

On the new server I did:

 - Remove the content of /VAR/LIB/CYRUS;

 - Run the MAKEDIRS command;

 - Imported the database entries using CTL_MBOXLIST -U;

 - Copy the domain content back into /VAR/LIB/CYRUS;

 - Reconstruct the databases using RECONSTRUCT -RF USER/* (got no output
from this);

 - Change the database indexes to max using RECONSTRUCT -V MAX (this one
gave output for all the imported mailboxes)

After all these steps, I noticed that no users had their quota set.
And trying to set it manually told me the mailboxes don't exist.
Though dumping the database show me otherwise.

I've tried to create the mailboxes manually too, but after setting the
users quota,
it was shown that there was no quota usage for any of the users.

So, am I missing something in this procedure?

What is the correct way of doing this?

Holp you can help me. Thanks in advance!