cyrus + roundcube + managesieve for vacation notification

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Dec 15 06:57:53 EST 2017

Many thanks to Vladislav and Merlin for setting me in the right
direction for setting up user-activated vacation notifications.  A
couple of follow up questions:

On 12/14/2017 03:31 AM, Vladislav Kurz wrote:
 >> Also, is there anything special I need to do with my cyrus configuration
 >> to allow for roundcube to notify imapd about sieve rules being
 >> activated/deactivated?
 >
 > Just uncomment the sieve line in cyrus.conf

Following the documentation here:
  https://www.cyrusimap.org/imap/reference/admin/sieve.html

it looks like I also need to add a managesieve line to
/etc/cyrus/cyrus.conf?

    sieve         cmd="timsieved" listen="servername:sieve" prefork=0
    managesieve   cmd="timsieved" listen="servername:4190" prefork=0

Is this correct, or am I doing some superfluous?  I enabled managesieve
and roundcube is talking to the sieve server, but didn't test without.

Since this is our first time using sieve, I haven't worried about this
too much until now, but roundcube+managesieve  seems to be concerned
about the location of global sieve scripts:

    // default contents of filters script (eg. default spam filter)
    // $config['managesieve_default'] = '/etc/dovecot/sieve/global';
    $config['managesieve_default'] = '/var/imap/sieve';

I set this to be /var/imap/sieve, but that doesn't feel right, since
this folder appears to be the base for user sieve scripts?

[root at www ~]# cd /var/imap/sieve
[root at www sieve]# ls
0  3  6  9  b  C  e  F	h  I  k  L  n  O  q  R	t  U  w  X  z
1  4  7  a  B  d  E  g	H  j  K  m  N  p  Q  s	T  v  W  y  Z
2  5  8  A  c  D  f  G	i  J  l  M  o  P  r  S	u  V  x  Y

I need to identify an appropriate location for global sieve scripts in
order to add it to PHP's open_basedir folder list.  Also, when a user
activates a sieve script to facilitate vacation notification, does that
script go into a global folder (unlikely) or into the user's personal
sieve space?  I'm pretty sure it's the latter, just would like someone
to confirm.