open port on firewall for sieve to enable vacation auto-response?

Vladislav Kurz vladislav.kurz at webstep.net
Thu Dec 14 04:31:56 EST 2017

On 12/13/17 23:21, Patrick Goetz wrote:
> I'm trying to set up a vacation auto-response utility for my users, and
> it appears that the path of least resistance is to use the sieverules
> plugin for roundcube (since roundcube is already installed as their
> webmail client alternative to Thunderbird).
>
> In reading through some online hints it appears that I need to open up
> port 4190 on the firewall in order for sieve to work, is this correct?

Hello Patrick,

you do not need to open the sieve port to the whole world. Only allow
the connection from the webmail server - which may (or may not) be
localhost.

I have tried various sieve plugins for mail clients (thunderbird,
kmail), and I could not find anything comparable to managesieve plugin
for roundcube. Usually it was just a text editor for uploading hand
written sive scripts... So most users will be using webmail to configure
sieve.

> Also, is there anything special I need to do with my cyrus configuration
> to allow for roundcube to notify imapd about sieve rules being
> activated/deactivated?

Just uncomment the sieve line in cyrus.conf

> BTW, if anyone has a better solution for this, let me know.  The
> criteria are the users need to be able to activate and deactivate the
> vacation auto-response themselves, so writing a sieve script is not an
> option.

I think roundcube+managesieve plugin is the best. I think that there is
even an option in managesieve to enable a simplified "vacation only"
interface. (But I'm not sure in which version it is).

--
Best Regards
        Vladislav Kurz