Cyrus 3.0.3 XAPPEPUSH

Arnaldo Viegas de Lima arnaldo at viegasdelima.com
Wed Aug 23 18:17:04 EDT 2017

The easy part is a merit of the Cyrus architecture (mostly the notification support) and the way Apple Push was added (thanks to whoever did it - my guess the folks at FastMail).
It’s really ingenious: just added the response to the XAPPLEPUSH extension command and pass all of it’s processing (registration) to a new notification. The rest is business as usual with notifications.

And Cyrus plays really nice in this scenario: you can push on new mail, trashing, move, read/unread. Any action that will cause the subscribed  (for push) mailboxes to change. And it works beautifully.

It’s really nice to see the nudge whenever a new mail comes, and not only at fixed intervals. Also, properly handling  notifications (other than NewMessage) allows for it play nice when the user reads mail on a desktop and on a mobile device. I personally hate to have the phone tell me I have 4 new mails to realize they where those 4 mails I read/trashed 10 minutes ago on the desktop - it’s weird to open a mailbox expecting something and find it empty. Cool to see the badge incrementing and decrementing.

I just hope it stays on the upstream Cyrus as it is a really nice feature, if you can use it (push certificate/key issue).

Arnaldo.