why sieve's "reject" is incompatible with imap4flags actions ?

Ken Murchison murch at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Sep 29 06:45:37 EDT 2016

On 09/28/2016 10:52 AM, Deniss via Info-cyrus wrote:
> hello,
>
> in sieve/message.c in do_reject() all imap4flags actions are
> incompatible with reject action.
>
> Why ? imap4flags does no delivery indeed.
>
> what is a reason to ban "redirect" action with "reject" in rfc5429
This orginally comes from a SHOULD in RFC 3028, Section 2.10.4:
"Implementations SHOULD prohibit reject when used with other actions."

This was restriction was relaxed somewhat in RFC 5429, Section 2.4:
"It is NOT RECOMMENDED that implementations permit the use of "reject"
with actions that cause mail delivery, such as "keep", "fileinto", and
"redirect"."  But, we have kept the original restriction.

--
Kenneth Murchison
Principal Systems Software Engineer