Cyrus 2.5.9 imapd children and tcp_keepalive & idle socket questions

ellie timoney ellie at fastmail.com
Tue Sep 27 20:08:10 EDT 2016

Hi Andy,

Bringing this discussion back over here...

> FWIW, I have more empirical data to report on the above server with only
> 2 accounts that are being checked by an old BlackBerry (along with
> Thunderbird an hour or two each day...but the BB is the only device
> checking 24/7)
>
> It has been ~24 hr since the last cyrus-imapd restart.
>
> There are now 123 imapd processes, all idled, and all of course for
> those two accounts. Looking at the proc file times in the time-sorted
> list below they span from when the restart happened (Sep 20 0734) to
> just a few minutes ago.
>
> root at dorcas:~# ls -alt /run/cyrus/proc/
> total 492
> drwx------ 2 cyrus mail 2500 Sep 21 07:19 .
> -rw------- 1 cyrus mail   84 Sep 21 07:10 20204
> [...]

I wonder if we can see what the old processes are actually doing...

Is there any chance you're able to obtain a backtrace of these?

You can use a command something like:

      gdb -p pid /path/to/imapd

where pid is the one of the imapd process ids (which is the last column
in that ls output from /run/cyrus/proc/) and where the correct path to
wherever your imapd executable actually lives (I think this might be
"/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/imapd" on Debian).  You should run this command as
the same user that your cyrus server runs as (probably "cyrus").

Once you're in gdb, look for output like "Reading symbols from
/path/to/imapd...".  If this line also contains "no debugging symbols
found", then we can't get anything useful like this, just "quit" -> "y"
to exit gdb.  But if it does find debugging symbols, great: run "bt" to
obtain a backtrace, then "quit" -> "y" to exit, and send through the
output from the session (probably best to paste the output into a text
file and then attach that to your email).

Another possibility is to trace the system calls.  You can use a command
something like this (also as the "cyrus" user):

    strace -p pid

Do not blindly email the output from this command, it may contain
sensitive/private content!

Let this run for 10 minutes or so, then press ctrl-c to stop it, and
then I guess kind of try to describe the output, and we can go from
there.  If it's very noisy, you've caught it in the middle of doing
something. Wait a little while and try again, or try a different imapd
pid: we're trying to see what the inactive ones are waiting for.

Cheers,

ellie