Invalid mailbox name

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Fri Sep 23 00:10:03 EDT 2016

On Thu, 22 Sep 2016, at 22:11, Eric Luyten via Info-cyrus wrote:
> On Thu, September 22, 2016 9:46 am, Michael Menge via Info-cyrus wrote:
> >

> > Quoting Paul van der Vlis via Info-cyrus <info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu>:
> >

> >> I am wondering about the dot. So far I know I cannot use it in a mailbox
> >> name, but it is in the list.
> >>

> > I suspect that your cyrus is configured to use the . as hierarchy seperator.
> > see "unixhierarchysep:" in imapd.conf manpage for details.
>

> Of course one can use a '.' as part of a Cyrus mailbox name, internally it
> gets translated into a '^' (arrow/caret).

In master I've changed the behaviour to expose ^ if you're not in unixhs, so that names are fully translatable between the two settings.  We run in a mixed mode at FastMail - the old imapds listening on mail.messagingengine.com (and our internal stuff) are still using the '.' separator for legacy reasons, but new clients connecting to imap.fastmail.com get both altnamespace (which is now robust) and '/' separators, so they can use dots nicely.

We're not yet at the point that we want to enable dots in usernames, but we're close.

> I modified our GOODCHARS definition heavily when we migrated to Cyrus 2.2,
> ten years ago, and never had an issue with square brackets and such.

Yep, they seem fine.  We've had them enabled for about a year now.

Bron.

--
  Bron Gondwana
  brong at fastmail.fm