Invalid mailbox name

Michael Menge michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Wed Sep 21 08:11:25 EDT 2016

Hi,

Quoting Paul van der Vlis via Info-cyrus <info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu>:

> Hello,
>
> I am syncing many mailboxes from one IMAP server to another. Now I get
> sometimes errors on mailbox names. I found out that Cyrus does not
> accept brackets in a mailbox name. Is there documentation about what
> characters are accepted in mailbox names??

The allowed ASCII-Chars are defined in the macro GOODCHARS in imap/mboxname.c
(https://github.com/cyrusimap/cyrus-imapd/blob/master/imap/mboxname.c#L1495).
non-ASCII-Chars are handled by RFC 3501 5.1.3.

This subject has been discussed a few years ago on this list, and GOODCHARS
has been changed between cyrus versions.

2.2:    #define GOODCHARS "
+,-.0123456789:=@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ_abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz~"
2.3:    #define GOODCHARS "
#$'+,-.0123456789:=@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ_abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz~"
Master: #define GOODCHARS "
#$'()*+,-.0123456789:=?@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[]^_abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz~"

M.Menge                                Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
Universität Tübingen                   Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum für Datenverarbeitung          mail:
michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Wächterstraße 76
72074 Tübingen