Cyrus mail spool entirely on SSD - tiered storage

Vladislav Kurz vladislav.kurz at webstep.net
Fri Oct 21 05:46:57 EDT 2016

On 10/21/16 10:47, Rob N ★ via Info-cyrus wrote:
> At FastMail we have our mail spools on SSDs, in RAID10. We use Intel DC
> S3700 which, while on the expensive side, have been incredibly reliable
> and fast. They're all still 6G SATA; we're still looking at NVMe (with
> some enthusiasm).
>
> We actually have too much mail right now to use SSDs for the entire
> spool, so we use Cyrus' tiered storage facility to keep the most recent
> (last week) mail on the SSD, and the rest on spindles (WD Gold 4TBs).
> There's a cyr_expire job that runs periodically to move old stuff down
> to the spindles. Metadata and caches are exclusively on the SSDs.

Hello Rob,

would you be so kind and point to some info (docs, howtos) about cyrus
tiered storage? All I found is
http://www.cyrusimap.org/~vanmeeuwen/imap/features/mail-spool-partitions.html
but that seem to be quite tedious to set up. Is your solution similar to
that? How transparent it is for users?

--
Best Regards
        Vladislav Kurz