Cyrus mail spool entirely on SSD

Michael Ulitskiy mulitskiy at acedsl.com
Wed Oct 19 14:28:27 EDT 2016

Hello,

I have a task to build a mail server with the following requirements:
1. ~ hundred mailboxes with up to 10G of data each
2. several mailboxes that may grow up to 100G each
3. client insists that splitting data into folders is inconvenient to them and so
all/most of that data will likely live inside INBOX
4. it must be as fast as possible, searchable etc.

My question is: assuming cost is not an issue, would it be advisable to put an entire cyrus mail spool on SSD?
I'm thinking about combinining multiple SSDs into RAID10 to further increase performance.

I've googled around and I see people put metadata and caches on SSD, but I haven't found a mention
of using SSD for entire mail spool. Is it a good idea? Bad idea? Terrible idea?
What do you think?

Thanks,
Michael