lmtpd triggering a delivery.db checkpointing (Cyrus 2.3.16)

Eric Luyten Eric.Luyten at vub.ac.be
Tue May 17 05:24:19 EDT 2016

Hi,

Several times a month our server freezes up on deliveries and the system
load average shoots up into the hundreds. Things quickly return to normal
between one and two minutes later but this has always puzzled me.

Today I was watching the system from up close when it happened.

May 17 10:59:14 XXXX lmtp[24980]: skiplist: checkpointed
/ssd/cyrs/imap/deliver.db (223062 records, 25295200 bytes) in 119 seconds

I took a quick dive into the code but could not find where and when lmtpd
is supposed to trigger a delivery.db checkpointing action.

Eric Luyten, Computing Centre VUB/ULB.