what's the most efficient way to check multiple user's unseen message counts?

Jack Snodgrass jack at mylinuxguy.net
Fri May 6 08:25:43 EDT 2016

I have 100+ users that login to a web page to do their daily task. They
stay on that page all day.  We have a 'unread' message count for each
user's email account and some other shared accounts ( fax,
customer-service, etc). Every 60 seconds, the web server does a php
imap_open / imap_status  / imap _close for each user ( and the shared
accounts ) and updates the web page with their unseen message count.

This has always struck me as inefficient.... We generate a lot of log
messages constantly just to keep track of the unseen message count.

Is there a better way to handle this other than don't do this or do this
less often?

We're using cyrus 2.4.  ( recently migrated from 2.2 )

I am not opposed to running a shell script on the mail server and
returning the unseen counts for all users via a file system check or db
read -vs- imap api.

I've thought of using imap idle but when we looked at that with cyrus
2.2, it did not work for us.... might look at that again.

Just wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts on this.

Thanks - jack

--
*jack* - Southlake Texas - http://mylinuxguy.net
<http://mylinuxguy.net/> - *817-601-7338*