Is there a way to send custom warning to all IMAP users?

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Mon Mar 28 13:50:39 EDT 2016

On Mon, 28 Mar 2016, francis picabia via Info-cyrus wrote:

> We have migrated all email on a server to a cloud email platform.
> The users were notified by email beforehand, but hundreds are still
> connecting to the standard IMAP service.  They may not
> even remember they have set up devices to connect here.
> Is there a way to send a custom warning through some setting,
> similar to how quota warnings are generated.  Really if there is
> any error I can fake, and customize the message, it would work.
> We are using Linux, pam authentication, Cyrus with saslauthd.
>
> Just shutting down the service is also a solution, but given over 600
> unique users have logged in today, I'd rather not dump that load on
> the service desk.

When we migrated some of our users to Google Mail, we placed a final
message in their Cyrus mailbox.  When they login, they can see "You've
been migrated to Google!", and the message tells them how to find their
email on Google.

To bypass email routing, you can use the "deliver" program on the Cyrus
server to drop the message in the Cyrus mailbox.

Thanks,
 	Andy