Sieve for shared mailboxes

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Fri Mar 18 08:30:48 EDT 2016

I have had mixed luck with direct mailbox delivery(+ addressing) and
when I say mixed I mean mostly bad.
I wanted to try using it for direct delivery of copies of all sent messages.
I found I needed special permissions on all the mailboxes and duplicate
delivery detection would not work in that configuration.
So I dropped it.

My guess would be that you may need to setup a shared mailbox or group
mail account that would process the mail into the shared mailbox and
then you could use sieve.

On 03/18/2016 07:35 AM, Merlin Hartley wrote:
> Sorry I wasn’t clear: we are using an alias with +plus addressing and
> lmtp to deliver into the shared mailbox
> I have the shared mailbox working just fine… it is only the sieve on
> shared mailboxes that is failing...
>

> aliases file:
> mbujobs: +shared/mbujobs
>
> exim router:
> imap_shared_accept:
> driver = accept
> local_parts = ^\\+[^/]+/.+
> transport = local_delivery_cyrus
>   cannot_route_message = Unknown user
>
> exit transport:
> local_delivery_cyrus:
> driver= lmtp
> socket = /var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp
> batch_max= 20
> user = cyrus
> group = mail
> transport_filter = /usr/bin/tr -d \\000
> delivery_date_add
> envelope_to_add
> return_path_add
>
> --
> Merlin Hartley
> IT Systems Engineer
> MRC Mitochondrial Biology Unit
> Cambridge, CB2 0XY
> United Kingdom
>
>> On 18 Mar 2016, at 11:29, Alvin Starr via Info-cyrus
>> <info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu
>> <mailto:info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu>> wrote:
>>
>> Sieve is run as part of the mail delivery into the mailbox.
>> That would either be deliver or the lmtp interface.
>>
>> If your users are dragging and dropping the messages into the shared
>> mailboxes then I don't believe that you can have sieve run on the
>> mbox to mbox transfer.
>>

>> On 03/18/2016 06:48 AM, Merlin Hartley via Info-cyrus wrote:
>>> Greetings
>>>
>>> I have been managing our mail domain on a cyrus-imap (&exim) server
>>> since 2005 and it has always been great for our ~150 users.
>>>
>>> Of course, over-time more complexity is always required and I have
>>> recently implemented a few shared mailboxes (rather than just
>>> sharing user mailboxes).
>>> Inevitably, the users are now asking for an auto-reply to be
>>> configured for some of these shared mailboxes…
>>>
>>> We are already using sieve scripts (managed with Roundcubemail
>>> talking through the firewall to timsieved) so it seems natural to
>>> use this technology here too...
>>>
>>> I have followed the instructions on this page:
>>> https://cyrusimap.org/imap/admin/sieve.html?highlight=sieve#managing-sieve-scripts
>>>
>>> But the last step doesn’t seem to do anything…
>>>
>>> So I have a few related questions:
>>>
>>> 1) how can I query a mailbox to read the flags set by mboxconfig?
>>> 2) has anyone got sieve working with shared mailboxes?
>>> 3) is it possible to invoke a sieveshell in the context of a shared

alvin at netvel.net              ||