prefork and IPv6

Wolfgang Breyha wbreyha at gmx.net
Thu Jun 9 10:59:58 EDT 2016

Hi!

I recently wondered why some of my preforked processes on my murder backends
never get used. I detected them because some quite old lmtpd's were holding
locks on an already deleted deliver.db.

After some debugging I recognized that cyrus-master seems to fork the
configured amount of "prefork" daemons twice. One half listening on IPv4 and
the other half on IPv6. Since IPv6 is practically never used from our
frontends they stay forever doing nothing on the backends.

Is there some reasonable way to prevent this other than setting prefork=0?

I'm only using SERVICE entries like:
  Bimap		cmd="imapd" listen="imap" prefork=5

Only the port is used for listen= without interface/IP.

Greetings, Wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Breyha <wbreyha at gmx.net> | http://www.blafasel.at/
Vienna University Computer Center | Austria