how to deal with mail retention/archival.

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Sat Aug 27 12:29:14 EDT 2016

On Sat, 27 Aug 2016, at 02:13, Shawn Bakhtiar via Info-cyrus wrote:

>> On Aug 26, 2016, at 8:35 AM, Giuseppe Ravasio (LU) via Info-cyrus <info-
>> cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
>>
>> I saw that someone proposed to make a sort of abuse of delayed
>> expunge,
>>  but I think that in order to comply with regulatory retention
>>  should be
>>  better considering some specific software.
>>

> I don't see how using delayed expunge would really be consider abuse,
> the documentation makes mention of its use for this very reason.

You will hit performance issues. All expunged messages need to be
scanned over at every select and refresh.

> "In any case, the time between a message arriving and being deleted
> may not be sufficient to ensure the message is replicated, included in
> the next backup cycle, and generally available for recovery or
> compliance with the regulatory environment."
> --src  https://cyrusimap.org/imap/features/delayed-expunge.html

If you are replicating to a system that's backing up, then you need
delayed delete to ensure everything gets replicated.

The backup system that's in development uses the sync protocol to feed
the data from Cyrus into the backups.

  Bron Gondwana
  brong at fastmail.fm