how to deal with mail retention/archival.

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Fri Aug 26 10:53:32 EDT 2016

On 08/26/2016 10:25 AM, Adam Tauno Williams via Info-cyrus wrote:
> On Fri, 2016-08-26 at 10:07 -0400, Alvin Starr via Info-cyrus wrote:
>> Well the MTA still does not deal with archival because it will need
>> to be passed through to Yet Another MDA to handle the archival and
>> management process.
> I'm not sure what you mean.  You can archive to a 'shared' folder or
> into an MBOX to be processed by something which rotates content.
Trapping all the email in postfix and using a bcc would either push the
bcc'd email to another mail handler of back into cyrus in some other
mailbox.
Which is doable but just seems clunky.

>> For the pure archival of the input/output stream including duplicate
>> deliveries and all spam always_bcc into YAMDA would work.
> always_bcc and delayed expunge work for us.
This could be the answer. I tried using always_bcc for another use and
found that it had some quirks with cyrus so I have avoided it since then
but it may be worth a revisit.

>> In my thinking Cyrus is responsible for the storage and management of
>> email so archival would be a part of that process.
> It has to be the MTAs responsibility as Cyrus very possibly does not
> see *sent* mail; or messages which are somehow otherwise routed.

True enough but an always_bcc into the Sent folder would solve that problem.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||