lmtp "Bad IPLOCALPORT value" and "Bad IPREMOTEPORT value" after upgrade 2.4.18 to 2.5.9

Andy Dorman adorman at ironicdesign.com
Fri Aug 26 09:02:29 EDT 2016

Thanks for checking and good question, yes.

lmtp      2003/tcp

I doubt it would have been working fine for all these years with the 2.4
versions without that. ;-)

And let me be clear...it still works fine.  We just have these annoying
2 log messages before auth happens (see below).

It looks like lmtp is reporting the IPLOCALPORT and IPREMOTEPORT value
problems before auth is done, but once auth finishes lmtp is happy.

2016-08-25T10:27:40.130890-05:00 yorick cyrus/lmtp[5695]: Bad
IPLOCALPORT value
2016-08-25T10:27:40.130915-05:00 yorick cyrus/lmtp[5695]: Bad
IPREMOTEPORT value
2016-08-25T10:27:40.152889-05:00 yorick cyrus/lmtp[5695]: login:
ophelia.ironicdesign.com [192.168.0.9] cyrus PLAIN User logged in

I looked at the lmtpengine.c source on github and did not see an obvious
source for this particular log output...but I am not a C programmer and
could be completely missing what is going on here.

Andy Dorman